The Government of India has notified agriculture and some related activities under essential services. According to the government notification issued on March 27, following agriculture and related activities can proceed, provided they follow the basic precautions and guidelines already publicised by government agencies.
- Agencies engaged in procurement of agriculture products, including MSP operations.
- ‘Mandis’ operated by the Agriculture Produce Market Committee or as notified by the State Government.
- Shops of fertilizers.
- Farming operations by farmers and farm workers in the field.
- ‘Custom Hiring Centres (CHC)’ related to farm machinery.
- Manufacturing and packaging units of Fertilisers, Pesticides and Seeds.
- Intra and inter-state movement of harvesting and sowing related machines like combined harvester and other agriculture/horticulture implements.
Ziraat Times here produces basic do’s and don’ts on farming in the present circumstances (Courtesy: Dr Amjad Husaini, Division of Plant Biotechnology, SKUAST-K)
- Wear a face mask or cover faces with a cloth. It will help prevent the spread of exhaled air and effect of sneezing etc.
- Wear hand gloves. This will prevent the direct contact with the agri implements e.g; spade, sprayer, bucket, bags etc
- Maintain a distance of atleast 2 meters from each other ALL the time.
- Wash the hands before as well as after the cultural operations. It would be good to take a bath after a farming activity.
- While spraying, no one should get in the way of spray, as spray particles can act as a medium to carry invisible particles to longer distances.
(Note: These guidelines are not exhaustive and are in further development in consultation with subject experts)